Historic Lustrat House
The Office of Legal Affairs is located in the Lustrat House on historic North Campus.
This two-story antebellum house, built in 1847, is one of two former faculty residences that still remain on the UGA campus.
It is named for Joseph Lustrat who lived with his family in the residence from 1904 until his death in 1927. His wife continued to live in the house for several years afterwards and rented rooms to students.
Lustrat was born in Vichy, France in 1858. He graduated from the University of France and also earned a degree from the Sorbonne. He came to the United States in 1893 to teach French at Shorter College in Rome, GA and joined the UGA faculty in 1897. He became head of the department of Romance Languages and served for 30 years until his death in 1927.
Lustrat enjoyed a wide reputation in his field and became involved in community affairs. He was an early leader in the local catholic parish and led in the building of St. Joseph’s Church. He and his wife, Eleanore, had three daughters.
The house was originally located several yards north of its present location and was moved in 1904 to accommodate the building of the new library, now used for administrative offices. Through the years, Lustrat House has served as a house museum, library administration offices, and as the office of the University president. Presently, it houses the Office of Legal Affairs.